Sunday, March 4, 2012

Painting Easter Eggs



This is a step by step tutorial for a very traditional craft.....This is very simple to do but if you have never done this then below are the basic steps to follow.



There are different methods as some people like the hard-boiled egg method but I prefer to have an empty shell since we intend to hang these for Easter. Wax crayons are an easy way of creating your design and then you can simply dip your egg in food colouring. We have a combination here of various examples, wax crayon, oil pastels and acrylic paints.


STEP ONE:
Be sure to pierce the lining of the egg
STEP TWO:
You can also hard-boil the eggs. They are easier for younger children to handle.
STEP THREE:
Rinsing ensures that your egg is nice and clean. Blow through the hole to remove the excess water.
 STEP FOUR
Mix food colouring with vinegar and water. 1/2 tbsp of vinegar to 1/2 cup of water and food colouring according to the intensity of colour that you desire. (15-20 drops?)
STEP FIVE


Get creative with your designs....
 
All of the above were created by my daughter using oil pastels.  The eggs below were painted with acrylic paints and then once dried dipped in food colouring mixture. I used a hair blower to speed up the drying process.

Not perfect but a lot of fun was had in the attempt at different patterns.
Once dried you are ready to thread string through the two holes and hang them from branches if you like to create an Easter Egg Tree.

A fun addition to the dining room in anticipation of
Easter celebrations.

You bet, I am linking this up at:

A Bowl Full of Lemons
At The Picket Fence
My Romantic Home 
Finding Fabulous 
Craft Envy 
Motivated Monday at Be Colourful

13 comments:

  1. Those are great instructions Donna and your egg tree looks so pretty. I love the cubby shelf behind it. Was it from an old post office? Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Yes, that is the old post office stand from the small town where I grew up. They had about 10 of them lined up on one wall. My sister got it for me when the post office was brought up to date. All these went out the door. It is kind of fun to have it around.

      Delete
  2. Every Easter I put out a half dozen eggs that my girls painted 20 years ago. I store them in an egg carton and the only one that ever broke was the result of a crazy kitten playing bat-a-ball. Your tree fits your home perfectly! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so special Maureen. I just love having little these types of memories that make an appearance every year and then get tucked away with care. Lucky you!

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful! I am so happy to find you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I love your blog and it was such a great find for me....through Google nonetheless!

      Delete
  4. These are so beautiful Donna! What a super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The eggs look great and I love how you hung them on branches. Good for you for already getting your Easter things out.

    By the way, did you get my emails letting you know I received the sap buckets - LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I am glad they arrived! A little bit of Québec in your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  6. Great job Donna. Brings back memories of crafting with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and these kids are getting old fast so I felt lucky to have an opportunity to do this perhaps one last time..... well with my own children that is.

      Delete
  7. A traditional art that never grows old. Wonderfully written and such great photos too. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!