Friday, October 26, 2012

The Shuffle

You know what happens.
Every time you are forced to place all your furniture in the centre of a room or off to the side....
you are faced with that moment where you pause and think 
hmm...should I change up the furniture placement?
I mean it all makes sense.
How often do you have the opportunity to re-assess furniture placement?

When I was young I was always fascinated and totally consumed by the switch-a-roo that
my mother like to do between our dining and living rooms.
She would move furniture and change room purposes on a whim.
And quite often without warning we would stop what we were doing and be on a mission to get the rooms transformed before my dad got home.
I loved it!

So here I am re-assessing the placement of furniture in our living area.
It is long and narrow .... 27 feet long... 11 feet on either side of the french doors.
so that has always been an issue to consider.
The fireplace side is 11 by 10 while the other end is 11 by 13 where it then spills into the kitchen.
Nope, nothing is too big around here.
And perhaps for that reason I have sort of treated them as 2 spaces within 1?
Does that make sense?

Yesterday we moved all the furniture into a cluster facing my latest obsession.... 
the new fireplace,
and yes.... I do mean obsession.

I believe that word popped into my head when I looked outside around noon.
I had a full force fire going,
and I was quietly puttering around our house in a t-shirt and yoga pants...
when all of a sudden I looked outside and saw a couple walking their dog in t-shirts staring at our house and pointing to the chimney....
Perhaps they thought it odd that I was having a fire?
Well, yes, and I guess the arrival of my family at the end of the day and the comments about how well it would heat the house this winter may have sealed that notion that this might have been somewhat obsessive....

Anyway...
back to furniture placement.
Obviously there is some need for change....take a look.

So, my thinking right now is that the bookshelf will have to move over to the right side and sit on the wall where the 3 paintings are presently situated. There will be 2 loveseats in front of the fireplace, face to face with a small antique table that I found on kijiji.

I think the other end will be reserved as a library slash TV spot. We keep a very small TV on the main floor for the odd watch but the main one is in the family room in the basement.

I would love to hear your ideas.
Do you see any interesting arrangements?

So, no fire today...
it is definitely too warm out there
and I am starting to get grounded again and on to the final stages of this project.
The fireplace will be closed in on the weekend
and hopefully I will have the living room arranged.
Hopefully.
Hmm....wonder what my mother is doing this weekend?



À Bientôt

4 comments:

  1. I would be testing it out too....you won't get a chance to today as it will be 20C.

    I like the idea of loveseats facing with a table in between. I think the bookshelf would look good where the painting are, but looks like the baseboard heater would have to move. You could add 2 smaller low profile tub chairs to the end facing the fireplace that could be turned to face the TV or drawn in closer to the main seating area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The long narrow shape is a hard one to work with, but I think you are on the right track. I agree with Razmataz about the baseboard heater, but agree it would be a nice move for the shelves. Can't wait to see how you work this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. That is a long room to work with but your idea of two seating areas works. I like the idea of the 2 sofas facing each other and Jill's idea of the chairs would work too or they could be nearer the bookcase (if the heater won't be a deterrent) for reading and watching the tv. It's difficult to tell from the pics you showed. My mother was like that too and would always be 'redecorating' the living room. I change things out with the seasons as i have a lot of dishes to use and display but the furniture arrangement has to stay for now. I used to move the old furniture around by times but not the new stuff. Our smaller tv is kind of difficult to place so the furniture can't be moved. I'm happy with it. :) I look forward to seeing your finished room. Lots of pics please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a long room in our previous home. Most of the furniture ended up at one end till a friend came and repostioned it. Our fireplace was right smack in the middle of the room. Windows everywhere. So We scattered our furniture around the room. Chairs at one end. Couch in the middle
    chairs at another end. Made small groupings. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!