Monday, February 11, 2013

Inspiration Monday - The Dining Room

The dining room is a critical room in our home
since we do not have a kitchen large enough for a table
and... well

we love having dinner parties
with friends and families.

Of course we do live in an open concept home
which may suggest
that we don't actually have a dining room......
but let's not get hung up on semantics, okay?



This spring we will be painting the walls on the main floor which will certainly give me an opportunity
to review this space which has  been snubbed for several years.

I don't have any big plans but I would like to edit that space.
So, I am looking at the possibilites...
do I take out pieces or replace some pieces?

Right now I have a very large piece on one wall....
I love the effect of this piece and of course it is quite practical
but not as practical as this.



Large vases have always been a hit with me and the idea of big impact like this is something I want to be able to do.....
Maybe I remove the chintzy little chandelier we have in there and leave the space open?



Hmmm...
Or do I simply need a really amazing chandelier.
Perhaps something like this given what we have in our kitchen.



We have the West Elm globe lights in the kitchen with Edison bulbs....cannot forget that.


Since space is always an issue in a smaller home,
the addition of shelving in the dining area might be rather practical....
but will they require constant editing?



I have always loved a table with a plate rack above it such as the one below....
gorgeous!!




And then there is a part of me that would simply love to edit everything.....OUT.
You know, purge and start again.
Not practical, I know.
But, what is it about your dining room that makes it a hit for you?







6 comments:

  1. Some great pics here Donna. I'm not fond of my dining room because it's not large enough. Our dining room furniture was bought for the previous house, which had a bigger dining room and now it looks too bulky in this house. I have to live with it though, our house has other great features, this just isn't one of them!

    I love the dining room in the first picture.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I always loved the Old Painted Cottage kitchen. It's laid out very much like mine.
    I loved the shelves , but they take up too much room so went with the hutch.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have found lots of great inspiration, I look forward to seeing what you end up with, I know it will be BEAUTIFUL! Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your inspirational photos. Donna. And I love your table, it's fantastic (and the chairs). I don't think you could find anything better to replace those pieces and they look great in your home. If storage is an issue, I'd go for the large piece you featured. I love your Edison lights in your kitchen, so I'd find something comparable but larger if you want to replace your light fixture.

    I must admit that I love everything about our dining room. It's the only room in our house that I feel is *done* and I wouldn't change a thing. Well, I take that back....I'm going to be rotating some different art in there on our big wall, but I'm constantly rotating art so that hardly counts! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love so many things about your house, in fact I can't think of anything I don't like! I do worry about the splattering around your cook area, but that is a minor thing compared with how much I like your kitchen and dining room over all. Especially the Edison bulbs! The beautiful red rug, and beside your dining room table, I just really like the black storage piece. Beside filling it with lovely wine!, it lends itself to so many other uses. I hope you will be able to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great inspiration photos. Hmm, my dining room is quite small and a open to the traffic flow from front door to the family room/kitchen. What I love, the big black Mennonite pine buffet and hutch full of white dishes. The farmhouse table and chairs we picked out with our wedding money some may not like, but I still do.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!