Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Happy, Happy, Happy!

Finally I am taking time to join RJ over at Art@Home with my own Happy List.

I have always loved this idea of sitting down and considering all the events, people and moments in my life recently that have made me smile.... made me happy.

So, here we go.

#1 The Joy of Surprise and Family

I am so happy that I was able to see the joy that my mother expressed when my sister and I organized  a family get together for her 85th birthday party.

Family members flew in from different parts of Eastern Canada to celebrate her birthday in
Tadoussac, Quebec.

And one particular family member was a total surprise.


My niece had not been able to see her grandmother for several years
so her arrival at the airport was a carefully guarded secret.



Of course I had to convince my mother, who had just flown in that morning, to come to the airport at 9 p.m. to pick up a friend.
Don't you love those little white lies.... never easy.... they can get out of control but all for a good cause you know.

My story was that a friend was also flying in and staying for the night....
and well, could she please drive with me to the airport as company in the car ...tired as I was.

Of course I knew my mother quietly thought that this was pretty poor timing on the part of my friend.
After all it WAS her birthday weekend and we were already getting ready to receive a dozen family members.

But when that "friend" walked up to the car....
Well,
that was the beginning of a great family celebration,
which saw
daughters, granddaughters, grandsons, son-in-laws, boyfriends and girlfriends of grandchildren, and friends coming together to celebrate her birthday over the course of a weekend
in the lovely village of Tadoussac, Quebec.



 #2 When Things Turn Out Better Than Anticipated

As you may know,
I have had a never-ending backyard project on the go and finally I am seeing the end to the
stairs project.
Both indoors and out.


Still work to be done,
painting, shingling the roof etc.
but
this covered little area was not even in the plans.

AND

A particular somebody around here has been wanting a dry place for wood storage so
this little extra was a lovely surprise.

We use this back door in the colder months since the mudroom is a perfect spot for wet boots
and clothing.

I will show more of this once it is all completed.


#3 For Being Able to Appreciate Differences

Yes, this one may seem cryptic and I apologize in advance
but
I am happy that I was brought up in a family where differences in people are
both respected and appreciated.

I am happy that my children also understand and accept without question that countries such as ours are a blend of cultures, religions and skin colours.

AND
FINALLY

#4 JACK

As silly as it may seem...
this big guy has generated smiles on so many faces since we found him.

The power of animals to draw out of people their ability to love and care...
is incredibly moving.




 Ahh...therapy at its best!!
How about you?
Do you have a happy list?






11 comments:

  1. What a great and uplifting post. I love the happy surprised look on your mother's face. Such a special occasion to celebrate. How nice to have a covered area over the back door entrance and a place for wood storage. Love the photo of a sleeping Jack. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are magical. Each one is simple and each one matters more than all the things we so often place importance on. A little love, a little dry spot and a little companionship and all is well in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your happy list! Seeing that photo of your Mom & niece made me happy, too! So, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness that first photo brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely surprise you organized for your mother (and many best wishes for her birthday).

    I just read your painting post and can't wait to see your stairs - they are looking good from what I can see so far. The wall looks fantastic. I love painted board walls. I so know what you mean about keeping on going when you have the paint brush out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post Donna - the joy on your Mother's face is priceless............
    And number 3?
    Do you think Queen Marois will come across this???
    It would have been nice had she been raised the same way............just saying
    ( was wondering how to incorporate this into a post - you did it PERFECTLY girlfriend )
    Big hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great surprise! You pulled it off so well! Great photo of her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww, I love that big pooch of yours.....so sweet...,our Newfie is getting so old, I am enjoying each day we still have him..sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great list, and Jack is soooooo cute! Kudos on the surprise party, white lies and all! Thanks so much for linking-up, Donna. I can't totally express how much it means to me!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually do a mental happy list in my head every night when I go to bed. Since I began doing that (without it being an actual decision I made), I nearly always go to bed with a smile on my face, because most days the happy list is longer than the "bad moment list"... I like all you "happies" and I'm not surprise that big furry being brings smiles on people around him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna what an inspiring Happy List! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post, Donna! I do have a happy list, No 1 would be a reunion of all of my family members. I loved seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete

You can leave a comment....totally up to you....Yep, I do love it when you do!